TUNDRA® HARD COOLER FAQ
TUNDRA® HARD COOLER FAQ
WHAT IS A YETI® TUNDRA® COOLER?
The YETI Tundra® Hard Cooler was created to solve the age-old problem of subpar coolers failing in the field. Tired of busted latches, bowed-in lids, and melted ice, brothers Roy and Ryan Seiders set out to make a superior hunting and fishing cooler — and YETI was born.
Tundra® Coolers are rotomolded, which is the same process used to create whitewater kayaks. And we designed the coolers to keep ice longer — a lot longer — by pumping them with over twice the insulation compared to most ordinary ice chests. The result is a cooler family with a dramatic durability and ice retention advantage over most any other cooler on the market.
Tundra® Coolers are great for hunting, sport-fishing, camping, boating, rafting, tailgating, paddling, and barbecuing. Oh, and beer drinking, too. There’s even the Tundra® 250 and 350 Coolers for commercial uses, like oil & gas, construction, and medical industries. Select Tundra® Hard Cooler sizes are available in many colours including classic white, navy, desert tan, and seasonal limited edition colours.
IS THERE A WARRANTY ON THE TUNDRA® COOLER?
The YETI Tundra® Cooler comes with a five year warranty. For more information, please visit our Warranty Information page.
WHAT DOES ROTOMOLDED MEAN?
The rotational molding (also known as rotomold) process is a high-temperature, low-pressure plastic forming process that uses heat and biaxial rotation (i.e., rotation on two axes) to produce hollow, one-piece parts. The YETI Cooler mould is loaded with polyethylene in powder form. The mold is then placed in a large oven while it rotates on two axes at different speeds, which helps prevent powder from accumulating in one spot. The polyethylene melts and adheres evenly to the wall of the mold. Once the polyethylene is melted, the molds are pulled out of the oven to cool. And once cool, the ice chest is then removed from the mold. It’s kind of like a huge, spinning Easy-Bake Oven that cranks out coolers instead of cakes.
The process has inherent design strengths, such as consistent wall thickness and strong outside corners that are virtually stress-free. The rotational molding process gives the coolers one-piece construction and unmatched durability.
HOW STRONG ARE TUNDRA® COOLERS?
WHAT DOES “GRIZZLY-RESISTANT” MEAN?
Our Tundra coolers were tested by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC), a U.S. Forest Service Department of Agriculture Committee that works in both controlled and wild settings with grizzly bears.
The IGBC publishes minimum design and structural standards, inspection and testing methodology for bear-resistant containers. YETI Tundra met the IGBC requirement both in the engineered test and the live bear test. The IGBC officially approved the YETI Tundra® Hard Coolers for use on public lands and national parks occupied by grizzlies.
HOW LONG WILL YETI TUNDRA® COOLER HOLD ICE?
There are many variables that will affect ice retention, so this is a difficult question for us to answer. Variables that can affect ice retention include the ice quality, ice quantity, type of ice (crushed, block, cube, dry), outside environment, exposure to direct sunlight, etc. Which is to say there’s a lot you can do to affect the longevity of your ice.
Because of the large number of variables, as well as the lack of an industry standard for measuring ice retention, claims that place a definite time (5, 10, 14 days) are often based on testing conditions and not real-life situations.
In the end, the Tundra® Coolers offer up to 3 inches of polyurethane foam insulation, combined with a freezer-style sealing gasket. Beyond that, everything else is out of our control. But if you can minimise the negative variables that affect ice retention, YETI Coolers can’t be beat. And we’ve compiled a comprehensive list of tips and tricks to maximise ice retention.
CAN I USE DRY ICE IN MY TUNDRA® COOLER?
Absolutely! The thickness of the walls, coupled with the amount of insulation make Tundra® Coolers dry ice–compatible. See our instructions on how to use dry ice with your Tundra® Cooler.
WHEN I THREW A BAG OF ICE IN MY TUNDRA® COOLER AND MY CHEAP COOLER, THE ICE LASTED LONGER IN MY CHEAP COOLER. WHY?
A small amount of ice is not a good indicator of how well your ice chest can retain ice due to excess air space within the cooler. Excess air space hurts ice retention. To maximise ice retention, fill your cooler to the top with ice and products. In addition, if the ice chest starts out warm, a small amount of ice could initially melt faster in a YETI Cooler than a thinner-walled cooler.
Best ice retention results are achieved by filling the ice chest completely with high-quality ice, which means using block ice that’s well below freezing temperature. In addition, maximum ice retention can be attained by pre-chilling your cooler. This will sufficiently cool the insulation and inside of the cooler, which helps the thick polyurethane walls work for you, not against you.
YETI Tundra® Coolers have up to 3 inches of polyurethane foam insulation, which is significantly more than most common ice chests. If you use enough ice to chill the walls, YETI Tundra® Coolers will most definitely outperform the competition.
WILL MY YETI COOLER KEEP MY HOT ITEMS HOT?
You might be surprised to read this, but YES. The same insulation and thick walls that keep the cooler cold also keep the heat.
WHAT SIZE TUNDRA® COOLER SHOULD I BUY?
The Tundra® Cooler series matches closely (usually within an inch) with many popular coolers that have been on the market for years. However, the quart size of the Tundra® Coolers will be a bit lower due to the thickness of the walls and amount of insulation. Another thing to consider when choosing a size is that you want to fill the cooler with as much ice as possible, minimizing air space to achieve maximum ice retention. So if you only have a small number of items to keep cool, you would want to choose a smaller ice chest and vice versa. Pretty simple idea, but check out our rough guidelines for finding the appropriate size coolers for your needs.
Tundra® 35 Cooler
- Portable and easy to carry fully loaded
- Great backseat companion in truck, car, SUV, or 4-wheeler
- Easily fits in larger kayaks and is ideal for SUPs
- Can be used as casting platform for smaller boats
Tundra® 45 Cooler
- Our all-purpose cooler, ideal for overnight camping trips
- Can be carried by one person
- Fits great on off-road vehicles
- Easily used as casting platform
Tundra® 65 Cooler
- Great for small gatherings and weekend events
- Versatile use options, like tailgating, fishing, and hunting
- Can hold keeper redfish or a quartered whitetail deer
- Works as a bay boat casting platform
Tundra Haul® Cooler
- Game-changing addition to a tailgate
- Great for a picnic or a day at the lake
- Can easily tackle a short trail to your favourite campsite
Tundra® 75 Cooler
- Perfect boat or marine cooler and is designed to fit under most leaning posts
- Can be used as seat in front of centre console
- Also good for tailgates, family barbecues, or a day at the beach
Tundra® 105 Cooler
- Good for extended hunting or fishing trips
- Taller design allows for stackable layers of cold contents and extended ice retention for longer trips
- Can be used as a seat in front of centre console
- Takes two people to carry
- Sits in bed of pickup with clearance for bed cover
Tundra® 110 Cooler
- Specifically designed for rafting community and fits all standard raft frames
- Built to hold food and drink supplies for multi-day expeditions on the river
- Great marine or hunting cooler as well
Tundra® 125 Cooler
- Fits a quartered deer or several limits of redfish, snapper, trout
- Great for extended family vacations or camping trips
Tundra® 160 Cooler
- Ideal for larger offshore species (tuna, wahoo, mackerel)
- Great for extended hunting or fishing trips
Tundra® 210 Cooler
- Holds 140 cans with recommended 2:1 ice-to-contents ratio by volume
- Perfect for extended hunting or fishing trips
- Taller body makes for higher capacity while still maintaining small footprint
Tundra® 250 Cooler
- Works as an offshore fishing cooler or big game cooler
- Can be a large beer trough for big party or tailgate
- Also stands in as an athlete ice bath
Tundra® 350 Cooler
- Works as an offshore fishing cooler or big game cooler for giant hauls
- Great for loading and transporting whole hogs
- Largest Tundra® Cooler in the series
HOW MANY CANS WILL FIT IN MY TUNDRA® COOLER?
Using 12 oz. cans as the measurement, you can see how each of the Tundra® Coolers stack up in terms of carrying capacity. We recommended using a 2:1 ice-to-contents ratio by volume.
- Tundra® 35 Cooler – 39 cans only
- Tundra® 45 Cooler – 54 cans only
- Tundra® 65 Cooler – 77 cans only
- Tundra Haul® Cooler – 82 cans only
- Tundra® 75 Cooler – 131 cans only
- Tundra® 105 Cooler – 139 cans only
- Tundra® 110 Cooler – 150 cans only
- Tundra® 125 Cooler – 193 cans only
- Tundra® 160 Cooler – 229 cans only
- Tundra® 210 Cooler – 322 cans only
- Tundra® 250 Cooler – 362 cans only
- Tundra® 350 Cooler – 549 cans only
HOW DO I CLEAN MY TUNDRA® COOLER?
- For general cleaning we recommend using soap and warm water.
- For a more thorough cleansing and problems with strong odours, use a solution of warm water and bleach (6:1 ratio) with a sponge or mildly abrasive rag. Odours can easily get trapped in hard to reach areas such as around the gasket and drain plug, so be sure to thoroughly scrub those areas.
- For tough stains and very foul odours we would recommend cleaning your YETI with a high pressure soap spray found at a local do-it yourself car wash.
HOW DO I CHANGE OUT MY TUNDRA® COOLER T-LATCHES?
- You can order new T-Latches here, and then watch the video below.
CAN I GET MY TUNDRA® COOLER CUSTOMISED?
- We’re currently able to customise the Tundra® 35 Cooler, Tundra® 45 Cooler, Tundra® 65 Cooler, Tundra Haul® Cooler and Tank 85 on qualifying orders through our Corporate Sales program.
ARE THERE REPLACEMENT PARTS FOR MY TUNDRA HAUL® COOLER?
- While we engineer and test every product we make to be the most durable of its kind in the marketplace, sometimes things get really wild. We have dedicated replacement parts for the Tundra Haul® Cooler wheels and handle. Contact our outfitter team herefor more information.
IS IT SAFE TO USE THE TUNDRA HAUL® COOLER TIRES ON ANY TERRAIN?
- Tundra Haul® Cooler wheels are great for, and durable enough to take on rocky paths, gravel trails, and splintered marine docks. And, while the wheels can certainly stand up to sand, you may experience difficulty in rolling over or through this type of soft terrain.
WILL THE TUNDRA HAUL® HARD COOLER LEAVE MARKS ON MY FLOORS?
- Nope, don't worry about it. This cooler's non-marring tires should not leave marks during normal use.
HOW CAN I CARE FOR/CLEAN MY TUNDRA HAUL® COOLER?
- For general cleaning we recommend using soap and warm water. For a more thorough cleansing and problems with strong odours, use a solution of warm water and bleach (6:1 ratio) with a sponge or mildly abrasive rag. Odours can easily get trapped in hard-to-reach areas such as around the gasket and drain plug, so be sure to thoroughly scrub those areas. For tough stains and very foul odours we would recommend cleaning your YETI with a high pressure soap spray found at a local do-it-yourself car wash.
DOES YETI HAVE ACCESSORIES FOR MY TUNDRA HAUL® COOLER?
- Tundra Haul® Cooler is compatible with the Wheeled Cooler Dry Basket, Security Cable Lock & Bracket, Locking Bracket, Tundra® Tie-Down Kit, Bear Proof Locks, Corner Chock Set, Beverage Holder, and Rod Holster.
- The Tundra Haul® Cooler is not compatible with the Seat Cushion, or SeaDek, and does not come the Wheeled Cooler Basket included.
HOW MANY YETI ICE® ARE RECOMMENDED FOR MY TUNDRA HAUL® COOLER?
- We recommend two 4lb YETI ICE® in the bottom of the Tundra Haul® Cooler. One front-facing, one sideways.
CAN I STACK OTHER ITEMS ON TOP OF MY TUNDRA HAUL® COOLER?
- Although your Tundra Haul® Cooler can certainly withstand the weight, because of the rolling/non-stationary nature of the product, we do not recommend stacking items or standing on the haul at any time.
IS THE TUNDRA HAUL® COOLER DRY ICE COMPATIBLE?
- The Tundra® Cooler gasket allows for carbon dioxide gas to escape, making it dry-ice compatible. Additionally, the thickness of the walls and superior insulation make Tundra® Cooler ideal for dry ice use. See our instructionson how to use dry ice with your Tundra.
IS IT NORMAL TO SEE CONDENSATION ON MY TUNDRA HAUL® COOLER?
- Condensation is normal around the lid and drain plug but the body of the cooler should not sweat.
WILL THE COOLER MARK UP MY FLOORS?
- Our Bearfoot™ NonSlip Feet are designed to be non-marking with proper use.
WILL ROCKS OR GRAVEL GET CAUGHT IN THE TIRES OF THE TUNDRA HAUL® COOLER?
- There are no grooves where rocks or gravel can get lodged.
IS THE TUNDRA HAUL® COOLER EASY TO DRAIN?
- The drain plug is on the opposite end of the handle, so draining is as easy as loosening the drain plug and tilting the Tundra Haul® Cooler using the handle.
WILL THE HANDLE OR WHEELS RUST IF EXPOSED TO MOISTURE, WATER, OR SALT ENVIRONMENTS?
- We selected materials that perform well in salt water and we have tested them extensively with all parts passing our tests for water, moisture, and salt water environments. A special coating and higher grade stainless steel help ensure your product doesn’t rust or weaken on account of the elements.